Monday, March 31, 2008

MASTITIS

Yesterday and today can be summed up in one word... awful. First, my mom was sick with a cold and gave Jack a little bit of it. So he's been a little fussy. Then, last night while I was nursing Jack I felt a sharp pain in my left breast. Ok, so I'm talking about breasts on the blog... welcome to the life of a nursing mom. I didn't think much of it until I was getting up from putting Jack to sleep and all of the sudden felt dizzy and feverish. Great, I thought, I'm getting a cold like everyone else. Sure enough, I had a fever... 99, then a few hour later 100, then finally 101.7 in the middle of the night. By 4 am I felt like I had been hit by a truck- achy body, awful headache, fever, and to top it off I started throwing up around 5. So I gave up on taking care of Jack and put him in bed with my mom. My mom thought I might have food poisoning, I thought I might have the flu. Mike thought it might be meningitis. After talking to my doctor back in KC today, they diagnosed me with mastitis, a breast infection caused either by a clogged milk duct or bacteria from Jack's mouth- seriously, ick! They gave me an antibiotic, which started working some after the second dose, and I am feeling a little better. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll be up and around more. Today I didn't really do anything, my mom and Mike took care of Jack and just brought him to me to nurse. They were WONDERFUL, and I was lucky someone was around to help out! My fever is still hovering around 100 and I'm still achy, but all in all much better. There's a mom in the breastfeeding group Jack and I go to who had mastitis not too long ago, and she was able to keep taking care of her little girl. She's a much better woman than I am! I felt like death- I could barely get out of bed, and apparently I didn't make much sense at times. So, that's our day in a nutshell. Mike was supposed to head home tonight, but his flight was delayed so that he would be stuck in Atlanta... so he stayed and is leaving in the morning. Jack and I are headed back to KC on Wednesday, so pray that I'm feeling MUCH better so that I'm able to manuver the airport with Jack.



I can fly!

1 comment:

amosclarkson said...

No fun and that does sound awful!! Hopefully you are feeling better now. Guess we won't see you until Monday. Best wishes!

Amy & Eli