Monday, September 8, 2008

Yummy Crockpot Tomato Soup

Boy. You'd think this was turning into a cooking blog. I guess I'm having more fun cooking lately, now that Jack can amuse himself for more than 19 seconds at a time. Granted, most of my cooking still happens after Mike gets home, but I'm doing it more and more. Don't worry, I'll include a couple of completely unrelated pics of Jack at the bottom, too!

So by now you know I love my crockpot. There are so many perks. First, you can get everything ready the night before, and store it in the fridge. Next, if you're home all day like I am, you get to smell yummy dinner getting-ready smells all day long. And, if you happen to be away, you can literally walk in the door and sit down to the table- it's all ready!

So my new favorite blog had a crockpot tomato soup recipe that I wanted to try. I made Mike go to the produce guy on the corner and buy A LOT of tomatoes. I used the recipe from the aforementioned blog, and being myself, I made some tweaks. This is what I did.

Throw the following into the crockpot:

3 lbs of tomatoes, cubed (my favorite part of this recipe- you don't have to peel!)

2 c tomato juice

1 c dry white wine

2 tbsp chopped fresh basil

1/2 an onion, chopped

2 tbsp splenda

1 chicken boullion cube

Cook on low for 8-10 hrs. I don't like my soup chunky, so I blended the soup smooth in batches after it was cooked. Be careful- it's HOT! Next add salt and pepper and 2 c half and half or milk (next time I would add a little more milk). Top with a slice of cheese (we had provolone) and garnish with basil. We ate it with toasted homemade rolls brought over by Mike's mom!

This was thick and yummy, and all-around great! It made so much that we refrigerated some for later in the week, and froze a huge glass jar for a rainy day!

DSC01344 DSC01345

And now for the feature presentation:

DSC01318 DSC01327 DSC01381

No comments: