Thursday, November 19, 2009

(Panera/Atlanta Bread-esque) Crockpot Baked Potato Soup

We had this the other night for dinner and it was yummy. Then we had it again today for lunch, and it was still yummy. Except, I'm pretty sure I accidentally added 1 t of chili powder instead of paprika, 'cause it was pretty spicy. So, you might not want to do that!

 

1 quart chicken stock

About 4 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced (I used 2 cans from my pantry and about half of a 5 lb bag)

1/2 an onion, diced into tiny pieces

3 cloves minced garlic

1 t seasoned salt

1 t pepper

1 t paprika

8 oz cream cheese brick

shredded cheddar cheese

bacon, for topping

 

Place potatoes, onions, and garlic in the crockpot. Sprinkle over the spices, then add stock. Cook on low for 8 hours. Remove the cover and mash or blend to desired consistence (I like mine still fairly chunky). Crumble in cream cheese and a handful of shredded cheddar, and cook on high (covered) for an additional 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Garnish with bacon and a bit of cheddar. I can only imagine that serving it in a bread bowl would be nothing short of amazing.

Close your eyes so you can't see the toddler dropping bits of soup on your clean floor, and pretend you're at Panera. :-)

We served it with (I know, weird combination) Adobo Chicken with pickled cabbage and carrots, but only because Mike doesn't think soup is a main course. :-)

1 comment:

Julie said...

Thanks for the recipe...I love new recipes! Especially 1. soup recipes, and 2. crockpot recipes! I tried your pizza soup recipe earlier this week, I am sure I will try this one soon!